The street took its name from the presence of numerous workshops and laboratories of mirror makers (specchieri). Along the street we find an Istrian stone relief of San Zaccaria


The art of constructing mirrors was introduced in the city in 1300 by a master glassmaker from Murano in cooperation with a German collegue. This craft was initially tied to the merchants (Marzieri), but gradually became independent, although the crafstmen were forced to use only the molten glass from Murano in their productions.
In the city it was forbidden to imported mirrors from abroad, taking as motivation they were usually produced by casting and not blowing, as done in Venice.
At the end near Piazza San Marco is located Piazzetta dei Leoni, dedicated to Papa Giovanni XVIII. 



Go to
iconCampo San Bartolomeo
iconBastianello Arte
San Marco 5041
iconPellicceria Caberlotto
San Marco 5114
iconCampo San Salvador
iconFantin Fiori
San Marco 4805
iconMarzaria San Salvador
San Marco 4850
iconPonte dei Baretteri
iconCampo San Zulian
iconCalle dei Spechieri
iconPiazza San Marco

Back to
dotLuxury and Craftsmanship
between Rialto and San Marco

Copyright © 2015 Massimiliano Bianchi and Association of Venice Craftsmen - All rights reserved

Artigianservizi   Camera di Commercio - Venezia   Confartigianato Venezia
Developed by gb-ing
Graphic design by Sevollai Computer Art
Powered by etc-cms
Privacy policy