The square takes its name from the Parish Church of San Martino, built in the early seventh century on one of the islands called “Gemini” or “Gemelle” (twin), by peoples from the mainland fleeing the invasion of the Longobards, and rebuilt in subsequent centuries until it reached its current form in 1540 based on a design by Sansovino.
Stories from the past include the murder of Gaetano Marasso in the church in the early 1700s by count Domenico Althan, who was decapitated. It is said that he was dressed very elegantly on the day he was captured, and that as he was led to the gallows, he greeted his friends and spoke extensively before dying, ending with the sentence "Popolo addio" (“People, farewell”). 


Of the various public artworks in the square, notice a bas-relief in three parts: in the centre is San Martino giving his cape to a poor man, the lower section has an inscription flanked by volutes ending in lions’ paws on vases and connected by drapery to a cherub, and the upper section has an inscription topped by a lily cross.



Go to
iconPiazza San Marco
iconCalle delle Rasse
iconBrandolisio Forcole e Remi
Calle Corte Rota 4725 Castello
Salizada Zorzi 4945 Castello
iconCampiello de la Fraterna
iconPastificio Serenissima
Salizada dei Greci 3455 Castello
iconSchola San Zaccaria
Salizada dei Greci 3456 Castello
iconCampo Bandiera e Moro o de la Bragora
iconAntica Torrefazione Artigianale Veneziana Girani
Campo della Bragora 3727 Castello
iconCampo San Martin
iconCampo de la Tana
iconVia Garibaldi
iconSotoportego de le Ancore
iconCampo Sant'Isepo
iconGiorgio Girelli
Viale XXIV Maggio 18

Back to
dotWood, Colours and Flavours
in the streets and squares of Castello

Copyright © 2015 Massimiliano Bianchi and Association of Venice Craftsmen - All rights reserved

Artigianservizi   Camera di Commercio - Venezia   Confartigianato Venezia
Developed by gb-ing
Graphic design by Sevollai Computer Art
Powered by etc-cms
Privacy policy