The Abbey Church of Santa Maria della Misericordia was built around the year 1000 on a grassy plot, called ValVerde, by two rich families (Giulia and Moro). The church has been restored several times through contributions by private citizens and the church. The current façade is the work of Clemente Moli with a number of sculptures including a Madonna in prayer with a Byzantine cherub, above the portal. Next to a plaque is the bust of senator Gaspare Moro, prior and administrator of the abbey in the 14th century


On the quay, above the portico, is the ancient Scuola della Misericordia, with a plaque commemorating its construction in the mid-1500s, initially as a hospice for poor confraternity brothers. It was then transferred to the silk weavers’ confraternity, once the new Scuola had been built. 


The public art worthy of note includes the carved emblem of the Misericordia confraternity with two kneeling brothers beneath it



Go to
iconLista di Spagna
iconCalle de le Procuratie
iconPonte de la Crea
Cannaregio 1045/A
iconFondamenta de le Capuzzine
iconPonte del Lustraferi
Cannaregio 2590
iconCampo dei Mori
iconFonderia Artistica Valese
Madonna dell'Orto Cannaregio 3535
iconSotoportego de l'Abazia
iconCalle de la Racheta
iconCorte dei Pali

Back to
dotThe Art of Decoration
in secret Cannaregio

Copyright © 2015 Massimiliano Bianchi and Association of Venice Craftsmen - All rights reserved

Artigianservizi   Camera di Commercio - Venezia   Confartigianato Venezia
Developed by gb-ing
Graphic design by Sevollai Computer Art
Powered by etc-cms
Privacy policy