Derives from the presence of numerous smithies. There were plenty of blacksmiths (fabbri) in the city who were required to produce a certain amount of iron for the doges, who then sold it. Their confraternity was established in the Church of San Moisè as well as a few neighbouring houses. The ground floor was used to store the coal, halfway up the stairs was a room used for elections and meetings, and upstairs was the great hall with a gilded wooden altar and paintings by famous artists. On the third floor were the archives and a room to store the weapons used on Shrove Thursday in Piazza San Marco, where, dressed in full regalia, the blacksmiths and the butchers would cut off the head of a bull, and distribute the meat to the people in honour of the victory against the Patriarch of Aquileia in 1162.


In the calle, we see a Madonna and Child with a metallic canopy, a Gothic shield 


and a plaque commemorating the home of Venetian patriots Attilio and Emilio Bandiera


Go to
iconCampo dea Carità
iconSotoportego Barbaro
San Marco 3471
iconVenetian Dreams
Calle della Mandola 3805/A San Marco
iconCalle de la Mandola
Calle della Mandola 3718 San Marco
iconCalle dei Fabbri
iconSartoria Franco Puppato
Calle dei Fabbri 4723 San Marco
Calle dei Fuseri 4458 San Marco
iconCorte del Forno Vecchio
iconCampo Rusolo o San Gallo
iconFonderia Artistica Valese
Calle Fiubera 793 S.Marco
iconPiazza San Marco

Back to
from Ponte dell’Accademia to San Marco

Copyright © 2015 Massimiliano Bianchi and Association of Venice Craftsmen - All rights reserved

Artigianservizi   Camera di Commercio - Venezia   Confartigianato Venezia
Developed by gb-ing
Graphic design by Sevollai Computer Art
Powered by etc-cms
Privacy policy